Our campus and athletic fields host roughly 250 athletic events in a typical school year. As a service to our patrons and benefit to our program as a whole, concessions are provided by the HABC (Heritage Athletic Boosters Club). Concessions for Outdoor Stadium Events, other than Football, are sold by the staff member selling tickets at the gate (Soccer, XC, Track, Lacrosse). Proceeds from selling concessions at these, and all events goes into the Athletic Boosters General Fund, in order to support the needs of ALL teams in the HHS Athletic program (*see table below for specifics). ONE fund to support the needs of ALL teams.
Parent Volunteers are Required
There are roughly 80 home athletic events each year which require the service of parent volunteers (1-8 per event, depending on the sport and season). The parent base from EVERY athletic team at HHS will be responsible for serving at 2 events/competitions per SEMESTER. You can choose to have this responsibility during your ‘off season’ or at the same time you are competing.
How does it work?
1. Coach OR TEAM PARENT will choose 2 events from the Signup Genius (link above) for their parent base to provide service for each semester. Two for August ‘19– Dec ’19 and two for Jan ‘20- May ‘20 The second semester list will be posted in December, at the end of first semester when schedules are known. (MOST events only require 2 adults, but range from 2 to 8)
2. TEAM PARENT will choose 2 events by signing up with their own name and sport/team affiliation. This doesn't mean that the team parent has to do the service both times!! He/she can then find other parents to fill slots prior to the service date, returning to the SignupGenius to provide names in slots at lease one week in advance of the event.
3. Your season of competition is not a factor in your ability to serve throughout the school year, so choose whichever works best for your team - during your months of competition or training. Sometimes parent volunteer needs are heavy during season and they may want to serve in concessions out of season. Example, Football is a Fall sport, so their parents might choose to serve first semester during late November and December when they aren't on the field themselves.
4. Coach OR TEAM PARENT will contact athlete parents (through Remind or however you communicate with them during season) and confirm a commitment from the number of parents needed for your event using the Signup Genius. Please indicate your team affiliation in the 'Comment' box.
5. Add parent information to the Signup Genius (link will be included in all correspondence). This should be complete with names and contact information at least two weeks prior to the event.
6. Teams who have not responded and made selections of service dates by September 15th will be assigned to the remaining slots on the schedule and notified of their designated service dates.
7. Each team will be given a ‘credit’ toward their expected Annual Operating Expenses (A.O.E.) according to the schedule below. It is based on the number of adults needed per event. For example, if you choose to have your parents cover two varsity football games, you will cover $300 of A.O.E.
Team Credits Per Event V Football (6-8 parents needed) - $150
JV Football (5 parents needed)- $75
Soccer (4 parents needed) - $75
Volleyball (2 parents needed)- $50
Basketball (Wm/M -2 parents needed) - $50
Wrestling ( 2 parents needed) - $50
There are additional opportunities for concessions volunteering, which could generate proportional revenue toward your predetermined A.O.E, i.e. WCPSS Science Olympiad (Spring), Jamborees and Tournaments, July 4th Fireworks. Please let us know if you are interested in these opportunities AND if you are hosting events and need them listed for volunteer coverage.
YOUR PART as a TEAM PARENT:
SELECT 2 EVENTS for SERVICE
Keep in mind that there are many events which only require 2 parent volunteers, and at the most, 6-10 (football/homecoming night). The events with higher parent volunteer needs yield a greater contribution to your team expenses. If you don’t have a large parent base, please feel free to select 2 events with 2 parent requirements.
**Baseball and Softball: With the provision of concessions that allow perfect viewing of the game, your parents have been more than willing to serve in all of your collective 30 home events in the Spring. As such, you are exempt from the requirement to serve in 2 additional events, since you are covering your whole season. Your teams will be given a service credit that is to be determined.
NOT Expected, however......
IF YOU CHOOSE NOT to mobilize your parents to serve in 2 events per semester:
Please contact the volunteer coordinator with any questions or concerns.
Blaire B. Savage
Volunteer Coordinator, Team Parent Liaison, HABC 2019-20